“The Smartphone Newsroom: Trends in Mobile-First Content”
By Robb Montgomery
CEO, Visual Editors,
Founder, Smart Film School
This keynote will be presented at Digital Journalism World Summit (May 11 and 12, 2015)
The shift to mobile-first journalism is challenging both the way journalists produce and present interactive news for mobile audiences.
Montgomery will show new ways of reporting and sharing videos and multimedia content that connects with mobile consumers.
Emerging mobile behaviors are forcing producers to find innovative solutions. Among the challenges are how to best present reports for “tallscreen” mobile users.
He will also show what it takes to begin to retool news operations into a mobile-first operation by organizing workflows around highly-responsive mobile news production and delivery.
Robb Montgomery consults with broadcasters like Radio Free Europe to retool their thinking, training and workflows around mobile journalism, mobile apps and delivering a great mobile experience from top to bottom.
CEO, Visual Editors
Founder, Smart Film School
From designing the world’s first mobile-first newsroom in Georgia to training Egyptian journalists on documentary film, Robb Montgomery has fully embraced the idea of video storytelling going mobile no matter the locale.
Montgomery has taught visual storytelling and mobile multimedia at the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University and at the International Academy of Journalism.
He launched the Smart Film School to deliver modern journalism training courses to every reporter’s smartphone.
Montgomery developed the smartphone reporting training, technology and workflows used by hundreds of Radio Free Europe (RFE/RL) broadcast reporters and correspondents.
Since 2005 he has taught thousands of journalists around the globe the latest techniques in video journalism, visual storytelling, editorial filmmaking and smartphone multimedia.
Montgomery is the author of “A Field Guide for Mobile Journalism” and a former editor at the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times.
SPEAKERS AT Digital Journalism World Summit
· MARTIN STABE, Head, Interactive News, Financial Times
· TIM POOL, Director of Media Innovation & Senior Correspondent, Fusion
· RYAN O’CONNOR, Creative Director, News Online, BBC News
· ANDY CARVIN, Editor-in-Chief, Reported.ly, First Look Media
· ETHAN KLAPPER, Senior Social Media Editor, The Huffington Post
· GREG BARBER, Director Digital News Projects, The Washington Post
· HILLE VAN DER KAA, Professor, Future Media, Fontys School of Applied Sciences
· JOSHUA WILWOHL, Online Editor, The Cambodia Daily
· JAMES A. NEUFELD, Founder & CEO, SAM
· MAR CABRA, Data Journalism Manager, International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ)
· MARK JOHNSON, South-East Asia correspondent, The Economist
· ROBB MONTGOMERY, CEO, Visual Editors, Founder, Smart Film School, Berlin Germany
· MAT YUROW, Associate Director, Audience Development, The New York Times
· ESA MAKINEN, Data and Interactives Editor, Helsingin Sanomat
· ROBIN MORNOEY, Communications Manager, Google
· ETAN HOROWITZ, Senior Mobile Editor, CNN Digital
· ADAM NAJBERG, Asia Digital Editor, Wall Street Journal
Digital Journalism World Summit