My Italian colleague Francesco Facchini recently posted a tweet about how to make money as a mojo. It is an excellent question and I want to share 17 tips for making it as a MOJO.
Many of my clients have Mojo teams in their newsrooms and often Mojo is a core skill now for many of my trainees. If you are independent, things can be different.
The best way to earn money with mobile journalism is to develop a reputation with your skills and portfolio and then learn the networking methods that will organically grow the attention to what you can deliver with Mojo.
Here is a list of things you can do today to boost your potential.
- Join an online community of Mojo professionals
- Offer Airbnb experiences in your neighborhood
- Enter film festivals
- Start writing a blog or book
- Mentor and/or sponsor high-potential people
- Start a new podcast
- Learn the latest new skills and story forms
- Publicly present your work
- Reconnect with friends and show them your mojo films
- Be an influencer
- Sign up as a freelancer on Storyhunter
- Make mojo part of your job, Show your boss your portfolio!
- Earn a professional development certificate through your employer or government grant program
- Make a portfolio and showreel of your best work
- Organize local meetups
- Support the Mobile Journalism Awards
- Volunteer a workshop at your company, house of workshop or library